Rememorer
Chingu (Friend)
Thursday, December 20, 2012 • 6:05 AM • 0 comments

These past few days, my insides were being torn as I questioned myself whether Im a good friend or not.  Some circumstances smother me with burning questions about guilt, importance and comfort. And having no answers to these questions of mine  made me hate myself even more. If I am really a good friend, then I should atleast soothe whatever bad feelings my friends are currently having. I should atleast hug, pat their back or even atleast say that everything will be okay soon. But Im afraid that they will just say that I don't understand how they feel so I should shut up and stop talking about whatever hope or faith that I want to give. And now I wonder, how good do I have to be, to be considered as a good person? As a good friend?

 
As my mind and conscience wonder, I stumble upon a quote I highlighted from Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood.

“Despite your best efforts, people are going to be hurt when it's time for them to be hurt.”


― Haruki Murakami,
Norwegian Wood

Something strikes my inside.
During difficult times, our friends need our support more than ever. But although our desire to help may be automatic, giving comfort takes careful forethought. Should I try to make them laugh? Should I try to talk about hope? Or should I let them be alone  and ponder everything by themselves first? I decided not to talk rather than risk saying the wrong things.

Im only human. I can't rescue them anytime. I can't take away their pain instantly. I can't assume what exactly you guys are feeling as of the moment. But one thing I know and can totally offer is my sincerity and my open ears and mind to listen to them in a non judgemental way. I promise not to be impatient as I waited for you to talk and atleast be okay again. I may not be always physically present but my support and love will always be with you guys. What matter most is that we have each others encouragement. Love you friends! :)


Gladys/22 years old/Philippines

Im beyond your peripheral vision and aiming for art school.Im a provinciana girl at heart. I do think too much and contradicts myself most of the time.The internet doesn't speak for itself. There's more than meets the eye.